Monday, December 2, 2013

Tom Ford Shadow and Primer Review - Dec 2013


I am very excited to review two (2) Tom Ford products from the somewhat newly released cosmetics line.  I will be reviewing the Tom Ford quad eye shadow in Ice Queen and the eye primer.  Let’s get to it – here are the eye shadow and primer reviews:
Box, case, sleeper bag

Tom Ford Eye Color Quad – 14 Ice Queen
Overall – the eye shadows are splendid!!  Pictures can not do the applied product justice – in low-light or night-light WOW! The effects of the shadows are incredibly iridescent (not in a gaudy way – very tasteful) (ill try to take some pics with a real camera instead of my iPhone) They blend well, are very pretty, and can be worn day or evening – depending how you apply the colors  - here are the specifics: 

·      At first look the compact is oversize – measuring in at 4” x 2 11/16”
·      The entire brown and gold eye shadow compact opens all the way flat (which can be helpful when you need a larger viewing area when using the nice mirror inside)
·      No fragrance and about .35 ounces
·      Two applicators are included:
Case opens all the way flat
o   One applicator has a typical black rounded sponge-tip on one end and the other end has a really useful pointed black sponge-tip (I found this particularly useful when I was applying the iridescent silver shadow in the corner of my eye)
o   The second applicator has the rounded sponge-tip applicator and the other end has a slanted white brush (I have not used this yet but that applicator is next to test)
·      There are no formal “names” for each of the colors and there was no literature included in the box for any of the products I purchased (not even on the Tom Ford website as of yet)
·      Here are the colors:
o   The quad includes a super soft grey in upper top left (applied this shadow appears pretty white)
o   To the right is a very translucent iridescent or glitter shadow in silver (the applied color is very very light silver and plenty of sparkle!)
o   The bottom left is a pretty grey – very light
o   The bottom right is a nice very dark charcoal grey/black (not a true black but very dark just the same)
·      Its important to note THESE COLORS ARE HEAVILY PIGMENTED – and that translates into:
o   When you wipe the applicator or brush across the shadow ensure you “tap” off the excel on your hand or tissue before application (I would suggest you not “blow” off the eye shadow as you will wet the shadows and changes the application not in a great way – I broke this habit very early on years ago – but I think some women still practice make-up application this way – it also contaminates your cosmetics)
o   Because the shadows are heavily pigmented you need less shadow
§  Start with less and build the product until you get used to it if you have not previously used a heavily pigmented shadow – even I had to remove my shadow and start over when I received the products)
·      The powders blend really well when used with the primer.  
Please note:  I have found the eyeshadows to be a bit fly-away when not used with a base (primer)  Also, they did bleed or creep and flake after several hours.  Little bit of a bummer there.  



Tom Ford Eye Primer Duo
Overall – the primer creates a nice smooth base for the eye shadow.  Use the included powder sparingly.  (I have not tried the eye shadows without the primer yet but that test is next)







At first glance – the primer duo comes in a small pot about 1 ½” in diameter (with a mirror in the top)

o   The bottom pot holds the cream base primer and the top flip-top contains the setting powder (that is what I am calling it for lack of a better term)
·      As far as I know there is only one color of the primer duo
·      No real fragrance in either the cream base or the powder
·      About .25 ounces (but again, you only need a very small amount)
·      Primer cream base is very light (I tapped it all around the surface of my eye with my ring finger)
·      The included powder is very light (I dusted it all over the eye once I let the cream base set for a minute – I don’t every like to apply any powder to a tacky surface as it will get caught in the moisture and create clumps typically – PLEASE NOTE – when I first used the power I made the mistake of using it like an eye shadow and I used way too much to where it looked like I had applied white eye shadow – probably needless to say I started over and then used much less of the powder)
·      Its nice to have but could be an optional product – The primer encourages the eye shadows to remain in-tact without too much movement – and the shadows stay super in-place and without smudging

Overall - I really loved the shadows and the primer base is nice too.  Again, I would just watch being heavy handed with the shadows - but they are super super great.  The next review will be on L'Oreal Revitalift Eye Treatment, and another Tom Ford shadow in a color trio called She Wolf - those really pretty browns.  

No comments: